Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Could I get some advice on getting my 7 yr old son a small pet, maybe a hamster?

My son is 7 and is desperate to have a pet hamster. Is this a good age to start letting children have responsibility for pets. We have two old cats, not much fun as they sleep most of the time, but I am in two minds as to whether I should get him a pet. Where would I keep it (in his room or downstairs?)


Any advice appreciated, cheers.Could I get some advice on getting my 7 yr old son a small pet, maybe a hamster?
I worked in a pet shop for 13 years and now work in a school so I know quite a bit about both sides!


Seven is the perfect age to have a pet and well done for being responsible enough to wait. People say all the time that they want a pet for their two year old and it drives me crazy!


Hamsters are nocturnal and this may cause handling issues because your son may be asleep when hammy decides to wake up.


Most hamsters wake up at around half five or six (pm) and if your son gains a routine with the hamster then he may even wake a little earlier, especially if there is a treat involved!


Syrian hamsters are much nicer than Russians or Chinese hamsters. Syrians may only be kept in singles and there is little difference between male and female. (Apart from the obvious!)


The Russians may be kept in twos and threes but tend to be quite nippy and you will need a big box of plasters.


As an alternative to a hamster, you may want to consider a rat? They make fantastic pets and can even learn to come back when called.


Most people keep hamsters in their bedroom but this is entirely your decision.Could I get some advice on getting my 7 yr old son a small pet, maybe a hamster?
I had a few pet hamster's and pet rats when I was younger and they were great fun to have. Although as the novelty wore off my auntie looked after them more then me. They need regular changing as there ammonia is very stringent and smelly. I would suggest you kept it down stairs and not in his room as you don't want his room to smell plus you can keep an eye on him with the hamster. Whatever you do though, don't get a small Russian hamster they are cute to look at but bite like hell!! I know I had one. Pet Rats are awesome the best pets I ever had and they live longer then hamsters and easily tamed. Hope this helps. Have fun :o)
A hamster is a brilliant idea and a pet that many children have. You have to be careful what type of hamster you get due to excessive breeding of some making them nasty little sods. Avoid chinese and russian dwarfs as these are v nasty, a robvorovski (not sure of spelling) hamster is a nice little pet but very fast, small and like to be kept in groups. Your best bet is a syrian hamster, there the bigger hamsters that you see more commonly and after you tame them nicely make brilliant pets. They can be a brilliant educational tool aswell. Be careful to only buy one as they are solitary animals and will fight in pairs sometimes to the death of one. also look out for dull eyes and a wet back end as this can be a sign of wet tail (diahrrhoea) that will eventually kill the hamster. Hope all this helps ;-)
Hi i had two hamsters when i was young! you will have to keep it out his room as it will keep him awake at night especially if the cage has a wheel! they spend most of the night awake %26amp; make a racket on those wheels! we had to train the hamster too- couldn't even pick it up at first- it wouldn't let us! i got bitten on several occasions- we got a book %26amp; it told us to put food on our hand and let the hamster come %26amp; get it %26amp; it bit the end of my finger! some technique! all the best though!


oh %26amp; my advice would be only one- my fiance's wee brother had two- he is 8 years old - and one of them ate the other one couple of weeks ago!
i got my son a dwarf hamster, easy and friendly to handle and to keep clean, i keep it down stairs mainly because they come awake and play in the damn wheel that squeaks on a night, but the dwarf ones are so cute and playful and because there small it helps teach children how to handle pets gently
If you get a small mammal, like a hamster or a mouse, be prepared to go on extensive hunting expeditions when the little rascal decides to explore the big wide world for itself!





Actually rats make very good pets. They are very intelligent, and because they are larger than mice and hamsters, far easier to find when they do get loose.





When I was a boy, I had a rat so tame and so smart, he'd actually come when I'd call.





Another thing you might think about is the animal itself! It will be much happier if it is not alone.





Males fight (sometimes to the death). This goes for ALL rodents: gerbils, mice rats, rabbits... So a good idea is to get two, or even three, females. Females are also much less likely to roam on the odd occasion one does get loose, and it will probably return to its little home all by itself. (And, by the way, they don't smell -- not like the males!!!)





Be careful WHERE and from WHOM you buy them.





Some of these animals are left over lab rats. That's okay. But often they have been bred to get cancer (not very pleasant for a seven year old to have to go through).





Know, too, that most small mammals do not live very long (mouse = 2 years MAX). Your child should be gently prepared for the inevitable when the time is right.





There are lots of good and simple books on small mammals and loads of info on the Internet, too.





I'd go with a pair of female rats.





Hope this helps.
guinea pig is better
A hamster is a good starter, but remember the stinch of the poop and the shavings leave an odor in the bedroom. If he has asthma or allergies, I would suggest that you keep it in the basement or family room.
I can recommend rats.


They are a lot more fun then hamsters.


I had 4 girls.


Hamsters are ok but they are nocturnal and are not good climbers. I think your son would have much more fun with a rat.


It is best to get 2 as rats are very sociable. Mine never ever bit me and they can learn their names.


I can't tell you how much better a rat is then a hamster and they are very clean animals. They will need a large cage and a room to be out in for play and exercise regularly.


They love climbing and playing and are very sweet.


Forget the stereotypical rat they are cuter the hamsters (in my opinion)
I had a guinea pig when I was 8. But you have to council him on the responsibility of keeping a pet in his room. That'll create a bond between him and his per--and your son will love you for it. (And make sure you tell him--don't make the hammy mad! Pet him gently, so he gets used to him. Talk to him.)
plz dont get a hammy and put it in a house with 2 cats, plz!!!!





he should not be given a hammy since they are asleep all day and the son will try to wake him up and play while the hammy will make noises at night when the boy is trying to sleep!!!





also he should not be given one as when u clean the cage out every week he will complain it is 2 smelly and will not want to keep the hammy anymore.





also hammys can become scared easily and bite if they have just been woken up, and a screaming kid will never touch or speak to the hamster ever again!!!





also cats r pretty smart and after just a week they will have figured out how to eat the hamster.





at least get another cat, and cal it the boys own. he can play with it and everything.





you'd be best off getting a kitten or puppy. if it's a puppy get a chihuahua; let the boy pick one as chihuahuas usually bond with only one person in the household and lets hope that person is your son!!!





7 yr olds hate it when a little rodent bites them and will hate him/her for the rest of their life!!!





gd luck!!
hamsters are actually bad pets for children as they are nocturnal animals, I had one that died a few weeks ago, I had it for 6 months and spent more money on vets bills for her than I have for my two cats in four years!!!
The problem with getting a pet like an hamster for a young child like your son is that he will get bored of it as hamsters are nocturnal and if they are woken up during the day to be handling then they are more likely to bite because I must say that I wouldn't be too pleased if someone woke me up during my bed time. Your best off with getting something that isn't nocturnal.
The thing that you have to remember is that you are responsible for the pet not your son. Ask yourself would you like to own a hamster? If the answer is no, then you should not get a hamster. You cannot trust a child to be completely responsible for their pet.





I agree with some of the others who have posted as I think that rats are a much better small animal to own than hamsters. Hamsters are nocturnal and can be antisocial. I have always found that rats are often lively and alert and very friendly. My rats come when I call them and will gladly crawl onto me without having to be picked up.
hamster and 2 cats are not a good combo.


I have a seven year old and I wouldnt get him a pet his mind is on too many things at once.


Hamsters can bite and tend to be a bit flighty.


rats are a good choice, probably be you who has to clean it out and have you got anyone to look after if you go on holiday?


I wouldnt x
i used to have hamsters when i was younger - i was very good and would clean them out, but my sister didnt and consequently my mum ended up cleaning out the cages each week. Could keep it in his room, but they will make a noise at night, either on a wheel or knawing the cage bars.





I always found hamsters not very friendly and sometimes they would bite if not handled daily. I had rats when i was older and found them to be much better pets - much more interactive, clever and friendlier. although they too need to be handled often, cleanded weekly, can be noisy at night and if female, like to be housed in pairs.
Yes and no. Dont give him full responsibility but if you tell him everyday to feed it and tell him when to clean it out there shouldnt be any major problems.


Good Luck I think a gerbil might be more entertaining but a hampster is still good.
my eldest kids are 8 and 10 and have convinced me to get many pets which they have been too young to b responsible to clean and look after them properly


weve got or had blue tongue lizards, cat, dog, budgie, hermit crabs, mice, guinea pigs,a dwarf and a lop eared rabbit, goldfish, and thats all in a space of 5 years, thankfully some died or we sold, the bestest pet you could buy is a baby budgie, a male is the best, they dont smell like rodents, and theyr more entertaining and clean, we still have ours and are so attatched to him,some of our other pets have been disasters


the mice killed eachother


the lizards smelled soooo bad and hard to clean


guinea pigs caused allergies





i hope u beleive me, go for a budgie, u dont want hamsters in a kids room, too unhygenic, unless u cleaned it well everyday





good luck
Hamsters are cute and cuddly, however, if you're looking to get a pet with an excellent temperment, I would reccomend a guinea pig, hands down. Essentially, they're giant hamsters, maturing to roughly four pounds: the size of a dwarf rabbit or a small cat. They are every bit as easy to care for and EXCEPTIONALLY gentle (even unsocialized guinea pigs have to be squeezed, pinched, prodded or otherwise roughly provoked to get them to bite). Likewise, they're a little sturdier under a too-firm cuddle or inexperienced pat.





We bred guinea pigs at the kennel where I worked and in two years of feeding, cleaning, handling, and nail trimming, I was never bitten by babies or adults. My best friend also worked at a pet store for three years and she recommends this as a first pet too.





The downside to 'pigs is that they need larger cages. You would have to allocate a space about the size of a medium to large coffe table and it would be a flat, 'boring' cage without the colorful tunnels and hidy-holes of hamster pens. Their food is also slightly more varied (they should have fresh lettuce or spinach or parsley, etc) and their daily intake marginally higher.





Regardless, rodents are generally a little stinky if you only clean them once a week, so you may want to take that into account regarding where you'd like to put the cage.





Good luck! Have fun!!
Whatever pet you decide on, I wouldn't recommend it living in his room. He should ideally be supervised at all times around it, so that he does not accidentally feed it something dangerous, or pick it up roughly causing distress and injury to the animal.





The only problem I can see with hamsters is they are small and sometimes speedy, so they may be hard for a 7 year old to hold. Guinea pigs are in my opinion the best 1st pet. They rarely bite, are generally more sedate and larger than hamsters, thus easier to hold, and they are not nocturnal, so they are active during the day, which might be better for a child. Good luck!
go with either a pair of rats or a guinea pig. they can be kept in the bedroom. mice are very fragile and easily scared, gerbils are very jumpy, hamsters tend to be in the habit of biting, and hegdge hogs are expensive and their quills are sharp. rabbits can be a good pet but can also be very finicky.
I agree with several of the above answers. Hamsters can be little escape artists, and can have mean dispositions. I had rats from the time I was nine all through my college career. All three of my rats learned their names, enjoyed water, learned simple tricks, and were extremely friendly. They would lick your fingers and even sometimes take a nap in your lap, almost like tiny little dogs. Celeste, the rat I had during college, would let herself out of her cage when she heard me coming home, and would climb up my pantleg to get to my shoulder. However, I never found evidence of her escaping any other time! Many pet stores sell rats, but many times it is for reptile food, and not companion animals. Therefore, you may want to ask to hold some babies (around 6 weeks old or so) and see what their disposition is like. A good choice is not going to be fearful and urinate and defecate on you. It will be very curious and even playful while showing no tendency to bite. If the store carries hairless rats, you may have a better bet of finding a pet. Most of the stores I've seen that carry these get them only as companions and not food. Best of luck on finding a pet!
I'd recommend a gerbil. They dont smell, they very rarely bite, they are clean, very sociable and friendly animals that love attention.
Well i would not get a hamster because there boring and they smell. I got a Gerbil and he is just one big ball of fun and they don't bite as much as hamster. Gerbils also live in burrows sow if you get one get a ten gallon tank. also get two because it is prooven that they live longer. also make sure he does not grab it by the tail because it will fall off.make sure that you get two that are living together. if you have any more Qs email me at mothergooseamy@aol.com
get him a small hamster but keep an eye on it and make sure he is taking good care of it
I think it would be a wonderful idea to get him a pet and for him to take on the responsibility of looking after an animal.





You were also spot on with your idea of getting him a hamster, they make wonderful pets. I also had them as pets when I was a child, and I have a cutie of a hamster now, and im a 29 year old married woman!!!!





I would suggest getting your son a male syrian hamster. They are the largest of the hamsters, but dont be put off by this. It actually makes them alot more laid back than other breeds and they dont move as quick. They love human company and coming out to play.





Good luck. I suspect your going to have one happy son in the next few weeks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment