Saturday, July 31, 2010

Could I please get some advice on diatomaceous earth pool filters?

Specifically, I was told that because it filters far more efficiently than my current fan filter, that I would be able to run the filter far less. My pool is between 12-15,000 gallons. My pump is 1 1/2 hp (can't tell you what the through put on it is). My goal: run my filter less by 25-40% while maintaining the current water quality. Thank you.Could I please get some advice on diatomaceous earth pool filters?
DE does filter down to the micron level but a large 320-420 sqft cartridge filter (420 min) will do almost as good a job but more than make up for it in ease of maintenance, less energy consumed and water wasted.





If you are into aquariums a DE filter will make the water almost transparent, just like the glass you are looking through. If you don't have glass on your pool then you do not need DE!





My advice is to you to invest in a flow gauge. When correctly installed on your Equipment you can see what your gallons per minute are and use that to calculate how many hours your pump needs to operate to turn your water over once per day. Use this as a starting point since your pool may need more hours in the summer time.





Best pump on the market is a pentair intelliflow, 4 variable speeds 4x160 but if you don't have a spa you really only need the smaller pump to do a pool. With it you can set your flow to 15 gpm and run your 15,000 gallon pool pump 16.667 hours per day. Sounds like a lot of money but at that flow the 3hp version is only drawing 270 watts and the smaller version will be much less.





You're welcome!!Could I please get some advice on diatomaceous earth pool filters?
i own a pool company a d e filter is the best filter on the market.it will filter a lot better because this is what is used to coat the grids inside the tank.however,every time you backwash the filter you have to add new de to grids. i do recommend that you run filter at least eight (8) hours a day for best results
I have used the earth filter which is very good because it is capable of filtering much finer particles, I have also used sand filters with good results having proper p.h. and chlorine stabilizer are all important for keeping a clean clear pool.
What you save in energy you will waste in the DE powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment