Saturday, July 31, 2010

Did you ever get advice from your therapist/counseler?

like leaving a marriage only to regret it highly later on?


What happened exactly and why do you feel this way?Did you ever get advice from your therapist/counseler?
I'm a counselor and I really agree with the poster who stated in her experience counselors only ask ';and how do you feel about that?'; I cannot believe how many counselors use that ineffective and annoying use of questions and think they might be helping people!





I believe counseling should be about giving people skills so their lives improve. And hopefully I provide some insight so that problems can be solved and even avoided.





I don't give advice to about leaving a marriage--I help the client draw up pros and cons of staying in a relationship, but I don't try to make up their minds.





Here is my exception: Unless their safety is at risk, then I will help the client set up a safety plan.





!Did you ever get advice from your therapist/counseler?
no... it would ultimately be up to my conscience but i am welcome to them giving advice to me i did'nt ask for other people do it and sometimes their advice really helps
I listen to DR. Laura and just listening has helped my marriage alot and I read her books
no i dont get advice like that because i lay it out with my councelor that this is what i want and this is what i want to work for. if you are getting advice for something you dont want then you are probably not completely honest with your therapist
I WISH!!


in my experience, therapists just say stuff like ';how does that make you feel?'; and ';what do YOU think you should do?';.


therapists are a waste of money.
Thats why us humans go to therapists is to get advice is it not?....I would feel highly agitated if I took advice from a therapist and regretted it later on by life is like that our futures are mapped out...haha...Thats why I dont go to counsellors!! Your not happy...try dating and getting out with friends or telling this person how you feel..you will feel better for sure ;) best o luck

No comments:

Post a Comment