Sunday, August 22, 2010

Can I get some advice from truckers?

I'm 50 years old very fit and healthy I'm thinking of a carreer change and driving a semi or class B truck. I did alot of driving in my twenties and enjoyed it. I have no kids just a wife so I can do long haul. I need to go to school again to get my CDL. Should I do it?Can I get some advice from truckers?
Commercial driving can be rewarding and lucrative. However, as the previous poster stated, it not romantic. It will depend on what company you go to work for and if it ';fits'; what you want. The bigger companies offer better security and more opportunities but you are usually just a number. The smaller companies tend to treat you better but can go out of business tomorrow. The bigger companies, JB Hunt, Schnieder, and so forth, will offer you CDL training at no cost to you, with the condition you drive for them for two years. If you wish to leave before the two years, you will be expected to pay for your training at a pro-rated rate. Their are good points with each company as well as bad. You need to contact the recruiters for the different companies and keep in mind, if what they say to you is not put in writing, you may find the job different than what they say. Right now trucking companies are begging for drivers. Take the time now to research different companies, and if there is a truckstop near you, try and talk to the drivers of a company that you decide on before committing yourself. Good luckCan I get some advice from truckers?
I did it for 47 yrs. smoked 5 packs a day -eat all the wrong foods drank like a fish and always needed sleep--then I had a pain filled trip from Toronto to FLa. and return when I got home the pain went down my arm-July 28 2004-I have'nt drank or smoked or went back driving truck since-and the only thing i miss? DRIVING-------- the moral is YA GOTTA LOVE DRIVING!!!!!!!
JBHunt in Arkansas is alway looking and training, but what about your health...its a real rat race..its not romanic at all..

No comments:

Post a Comment