Monday, August 23, 2010

I want to get fit, any advice on how to start running?

I will join the gym soon, but until then I want to do some running - how many times a week should I run, and what is a good routine to get started? I would also like to know what excercises I can do in the house. Thanks.I want to get fit, any advice on how to start running?
AWOL,





Congratulations on your decision. I have been running for about ten years now, and I've never done any single thing that has done me so much good. I think that you will find that it's a lot of work that eventually becomes very satisfying.





But you'll have to get to that point carefully, which means slowly. To do otherwise is to risk an injury that will sideline you for long enough to discourage you. Don't do that. Instead, let your body tell you how much you should do, and don't drive it. ';No pain, no gain'; is silly, and ';Pain is just weakness leaving the body'; is fine for motivating Marine recruits but not for real life. Pain means that something is wrong. Pay attention to it.





Better still, keep from it. Here's how:





1. Buy yourself a good pair of running shoes.





Start by finding out what kind of shoe you need. Shoes come in three basic kinds, depending on the amount of pronation you experience. Pronation is the way your foot ';rolls'; from the outside of the heel where it strikes the ground to the big toe at push-off. The height of your arch is the greatest determinant of your pronation.





So, after your next shower of bath, put one wet foot on a piece of brown paper and then remove it. Look at the outline of your foot. If it shows two large spots only, with maybe a hint of outside edge, you have high arches. If it shows a typical foot outline, you have average arches, and if it shows a kind of indented oval, you have low arches, maybe even flat feet.





High arches need what is called a ';neutral'; shoe.


Average arches need a ';stability'; shoe.


Low arches need a ';motion control'; shoe.





Once you find out what kind of shoe you need, go out and find the brand of that kind that fits you best. Check out running stores, Runner's World magazine, anything that you can before you buy shoes. It's worth taking your time to find the right one.





I'm very partial to Asics and Reeboks. The Asics Gel Kayano series is extremely well spoken of, though at $135 it can be a bit pricey. The GT-2111, however, is about $90 and is a very good shoe. I like it for its fit, cushion, and smooth transition between heel and toe. I find it very easy to run in.





The Reebok Road Lite series is also very good.





But find the one that fits you and feels best to you.





Once you've done that, make sure that you have the right clothes to run in. You don't need expensive technical (that's the synthetic stuff that weighs next to nothing and wicks perspiration away really quickly) clothing to start with. Eventually, yes, but not right now. Just have enough to keep warm in the cold. Don't forget gloves. It sounds funny, but it's next to impossible to have a good run with cold hands.





OK, now you're ready to start running.





Rule One: Go slow. Remember, this is for your health, not for a race. The greatest danger to beginners (ask me) is impatience. We try to go too fast too soon. Don't. You have time, so go slow. When I started running I couldn't run even a mile. I jogged 3/4 of a mile and walked the last 1/4 mile. I did that for as long as I needed to. Eventually I ran a mile.





Rule Two: increase your speed or distance by no more than 10% per week. No more. It doesn't have to be 10%, but it must be no more than that. And never, ever increase both at the same time. that will injure you.





Rule Three: Go to Runner's World Magazine and find a training schedule for beginners. This is the kind of training to aim for. You don't have to do exactly what it says, but it's a good choice to start with and to work toward. Run three days a week to start with until you're up to four miles each run. This should take you about 10 weeks, maybe 12. The time isn't important, really. Just know that it will take you longer than you might think it should, and be patient with yourself.





Then drop back to three miles four times a week and work your way up again. By the time you get there you'll be ready to go farther.





I can remember the first time I ran three miles. I was utterly exhausted and wasn't sure I could get out of the shower to do anything but sleep. But in a couple of days I was ready to do it again, and did, and wasn't quite so tired afterward.





I kept it up and kept going farther. I remember wondering if today would be the day that I would run five miles, and several times I had to answer that ';no'; after my run. But I kept it up and one day, I ran five miles. I had a minor clelbration at that.





Now I run 20-30 miles a week and feel great. I'm almost ready for a half-marathon, and I'm training for one this year. Eventually my plan is a marathon. Or two.





I've had my share of minor injuries, mostly tendonitis, and almost always from running long and sometimes hard, and then working around the house too hard--running up and down stairs, working on new flooring, kneeling, getting up, kneeling, getting up, and putting such a strain on my legs that they got a bit angry at me, and my iliotibial band (a really thick tendon that runs from the outside of the hip down the leg to the knee) got really sore. I had to lay off running for a few weeks. It wasn't worth it. If I'm going to do something that takes a lot of kneeling--working on the suspension or brakes of one of our cars ( I have a '74 Beetle that takes some maintenance)--then I don't run until I'm done wit the job. If that means that I don't run that day, then I don't run. I can run tomorrow. But if I'm injured, then I can't run at all for too long.





If you want exercises to do before you go running, do mostly stretching exercises, but be careful with that. Those who are injured most often are those who are least flexible and most flexible. There really aren't a whole lot of house exercises that you can do to prepare you for runningl You can make your legs a bit stronger with squats (but never bend your knees beyond 90 degrees or you'll ruin them) and plyometrics, but I wouldn't do plyometrics before you've run for a while. Nothing beats getting in shape for running like running. So I'd do that. Slowly at first, but that's what I'd do. Go carefully, taking care of yourself. You're going to need those legs for a long time yet.





So, take care of your legs and feet and your running will go well.


Increase your running slowly and your running will go well.





Good luck.I want to get fit, any advice on how to start running?
If you have never ran before i dont think you should suddenly start running ,start power walking first ,work your way up to running,always do some stretching exercises before you start ,then when you start running do it for 5 mins then work your way up. you can buy a mini trampoline,a skipping rope even running up and down the stairs,putting music on and just going for it,make it fun and you will start feeling great about yourself ,go for it.
run three times a week for 30min. tops and you could do some jumping jacks, cruches
if you have a stair case in your home go up and down it
Jumprope is awesome. I began running by picking a 3 mile route and then running just a little of it and working up to the whole thing. It took about 4 weeks. I exercised at least 4 times a week. Since then I've added jumprope and weights. Jumprope 100 reps at a time, recover and do it again. This gets your lungs in shape. Also, running in place, getting your knees up for 1 minute or as long as your able then recovering and doing it again. In between these reps of jumprope and running in place, you could do squats or sit against the wall, add pushups and other things. Stairs were mentioned and this is great as well. Good luck!
Just 1 step at a time mate, 1 step at a time.
I'd start with a fast walk for the first few weeks, bout 3-4 times a week for an hour, just to build up stamina. Then switch between jogging and walking until ur ready for full-blown runs. That's how I started and it's helping a lot with my fitness. Wear comfy shoes and don't push yourself to hard, thats how alot of people cause serious injuries. Not sure bout indoor excercises except sit-ups and squats. Best of luck, hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment