Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'm anaemic and I feel my condition is worsening, I was wondering if I could get any advice about what to do?

These days I've been more aware of my heartbeat than usual, my heart is beating either very quickly or irregularly, I'm feeling extremely tired and weak and I can't bring myself to do very much during the day. I'm having frequent chest pains or discomfort and I feel very light and occasionally come close to dizziness. After the results of my latest blood test about two months ago I was told that I have severe iron deficiency. Could there be any other reason for these symptoms?I'm anaemic and I feel my condition is worsening, I was wondering if I could get any advice about what to do?
Well, if you are anaemic, then you should eat things high in iron, e.g. red meat, spinach etc... I hate red meat, so I ate a lot of things with spinach, like pasta, salads, Punjabi naan bread (from the Indian restaurant I work at.. mmmmmmm) and stuff like that.





Hope this helps. :)I'm anaemic and I feel my condition is worsening, I was wondering if I could get any advice about what to do?
You really need to see your doctor. I am also anaemic and have just started a course of iron injections. Warning - you end up looking like you have a big bruise on your bottom, but its not really a bruise - its staining from the iron. (it will go away) My doctor told me it is worthless taking iron tablets because they would take months to do any good. Good luck partner!
One thing that you may want to do, if you haven't already, is see a hematologist.





The weakness and fatigue are very common symptoms of anaemia. What should be done is a bone marrow biopsy. The red blood cells, like all other blood cells, are produced in the bone marrow. Once the biopsy has been taken, it will be studied for presence of some cells and behaviors of others. You may need to be given transfusions of red blood cells or given an ESA (erythropoeitic stimulating agent) which builds and boosts red blood cells. (erythrocytes)





Anaemia may be contributing to the irregular heartbeat and chest pain, and it may be anxiety as well. An EKG may need to be ordered to rule out cardiac disorders. Feeling more aware of your heartbeat may be a form of anxiety, and you may want to speak with your doctor about this as well. Two months is a long time to go without treatment of your anaemia. I recommend that you see your primary care provider as soon as possible and request to be referred to a hematologist.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment